Wednesday, May 9, 2012

A Word on Fitness

The GunDivas posted about the importance physical fitness, and it fits right in with the ass kicking I went through last night, so I figured I'd post about it too. :)


My main goal in working out was to prepare for a 5K event (happening this Saturday, yikes!) and see if I could add some weight and muscle mass. I've mentioned before that for years I have struggled with my weight, but in keeping it on rather than trying to lose. I'm only 5'2", so a comfortable weight for me would be 120. But for the longest time (due to an autoimmune condition) I would weigh in just shy of 100#. I hate the way I look at this weight, so I finally began to do something about it. 

I hear some of you ladies now "Oh what a tough problem to have" in your sweetest possible snarky voice. I've heard it MANY times before. Other people always tell me "Oh that will catch up with you someday and you'll have to fight like the rest of us to keep it off." I don't think so. I truly believe, that due to the autoimmune condition, it will always be a fight to keep the weight ON. So cardio and pumping iron, and eating healthy and often are keys for me.

Well I'm pleased to announce I finally surpassed 115#! And I'm starting to like the way I look - a huge accomplishment for someone that has struggled with self-image issues for....oh, ever!
I'm beginning to see muscle definition, and I feel stronger, and I can do more in everyday life than I was previously capable of doing. I have more endurance. 

I'm not sure how this will play into the 5K this weekend, since I crapped out on my training for that, but as long as I cross that finish line, I don't care how long it takes me to do it.

Now on to the ass kicking I went through yesterday. I've been working with a personal trainer, and last night was our last session for a while, so I guess she decided to torture me a little bit.

We did (and by "we" I mean "me" - she didn't do them with me LOL):
Seated Rows 
Shoulder press
Crunches on Stability Ball 
Chest Press 
Squats
Doesn't sound too bad, right? What if I said we did 4 sets? And that those 4 sets were 25 reps each?
I thought I was going to die, but it feels so freaking awesome to say "I just did 100 reps of five different exercises." Effectively, 500 reps, moving over 4500 pounds of weight in right at 40 minutes. 
Say WHAT?!? A year ago, I think this would have killed me. Six months ago, it would have seriously crippled me. Today? I feel fantastic!

It's good for my self-image. It puts me in a great mood. It's making me stronger.
But it will also give me more of a fighting chance against a bad guy should I ever need it. 
Believe me, that is not the least important point here, but I wanted to point out how physical fitness is important in many ways. :)

Happy Wednesday everyone!





2 comments:

  1. That is a killer workout! I'm going to steal it. I've been floundering without my trainer. Cardio is about all I'm getting these days and I *loved* strength training, I'm just not very creative when it comes to mixing up my workouts, so I get stuck in the same rut. I never thought I'd say it, but I miss the Little Bastard - ahem - El Poquito Diablo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure feeling it today! The great thing about this workout is that you can change it up. Don't feel like doing regular squats? Do lunges or leg press instead.
      I'm not that creative when it comes to creating my own workouts either, but I'm going to modify the hell out of this one and keep at it! :)

      Delete