Saturday, June 23, 2012

Holsters

Did I mention that I got my plastic?! Yep, almost a month ago now. I've been carrying everyday, everywhere that I legally can.

I've got a few holsters now, but I'm still not sure I've found the perfect one just yet.

The Old Faithful Holster
I mentioned in a previous post that when I put this together and tried it on, it was WAY too big for me. Turns out, they sent me the wrong size leather piece for my carry gun (Ruger LC9). They sent me the right sized piece, and I finally got it put together just shortly after I received my license.
The updated version with the smaller piece of leather is better, but not perfect, even though it's what I'm using most often.
I had the sweat shield trimmed down a bit, and the back side of the leather beveled, which has made an improvement in the comfort level for sure.
But being so tiny like I am, it's tough to wear it at 3:00 because it digs into my hip bone, and anything further back than 3:30 or 4:00 is hard for me to get to quickly. I've been wearing it at 3:30.

The Betty Holster
I bought this from the Well Armed Woman website. Carrie was quick to answer my questions, and just as quick with the shipping.
Unfortunately, when I got it, the ejection port was molded SO tightly to my gun, that once I got it in there, I couldn't draw it back out. I emailed Looper Law Enforcement about it, but never got a reply. :(
I'd seen enough YouTube videos on working with Kydex, that I decided to try fixing it myself. I got out my hairdryer, turned it on high heat, and managed to warm it just enough to un-mold the ejection port just enough to make a difference.

I've only worn this holster a couple of times. I like that I can put it anywhere, but it's not perfect either. I feel like it rides too high, and the grip of my gun tends to turn out away from my body.
I think if the clip on it were moved up about an inch, it would ride much better. Not sure I can modify this one, since there's a little divot molded into the kydex where the clip attaches, but if I get brave enough to try making my own, I would definitely move the clip up.

The Remora
A friend from one of the forums I visit sent this to me. It was my very first holster. :)
These little things are pretty amazing, in that they stay right where you put them. Any position, any cant - they aren't moving.
My biggest problem with it is this: What do you do when you go to the bathroom?
At home it's not an issue. Simply remove the holster from your waistband and lay it on the bathroom counter.
But what do you do out in public? I usually have my purse with me, so I could tuck it in there while I take care of business. But I'm afraid I'll forget to put it back in my waist band and someone will see it.
There's a new version that has a little velcro strap to attach it to your belt, so I may try one of those at some point.

The VersaCarry
This also came from a forum-friend. The concept intrigues me, but I'm not so sure about the execution. These newer versions have the trigger guard on the side that goes against your pants. So there's little concern about accidentally catching the trigger on anything.
Again, you can put it most anywhere and it's easy to draw from, but re-holstering is almost impossible without removing the holster from your waistband.

But the support piece that runs along side the slide doesn't seem incredibly strong, and my forum-friend told me that his clip actually broke off when wearing it with a thick gun belt.

I have used this around the house with an unloaded weapon, but haven't gone out in public wearing it.
VersaCarry recommends that you don't carry with one in the chamber when using this holster. And that's not a compromise I'm willing to make. I want that round chambered thank-you-very-much.

With all that said, I've realized that these are all IWB options. I think perhaps I need to try an OWB option to see if that's more comfortable for me. But I can't spend a ton of money trying out a bunch of different ones. So I guess I have a lot more research to do.
If anyone has any suggestions I'd love to hear them!

4 comments:

  1. I am so. far. behind. I'll get caught up on all of your posts tonight - I promise! Seems like I've missed a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From the sound of it, you've had bigger things to worry about than reading my blog posts -like finding non-smoky air to breathe! :)
      Hope things calm down for ya!

      Delete
  2. I use a Galco King Tuk, and I carry a full size pistol every day with this holster. Very comfortable, very secure, and allows me to tuck in my shirt around it.
    I bought mine at the Cabela's off 75 in Allen, I'm sure they carry one for your pistol.

    The only thing is that I don't have hips, as do most women, and this holster may or may not work for some women. I've seen some women carry comfortably with similar designs, but you may be different.

    Another couple of options are the Flashbang, and the Belly Band. Both are used in deep concealment, and I don't have any personal experience with either, but they seem popular amongst some women.

    Congrats on the plastic! I just sent in my renewal paperwork this week, myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The King Tuk isn't all that different from the Old Faithful holster that I have, but smooth heads on the screws on the back side look like they would make a big difference.
      My biggest problem with this type of hybrid holster, is that the leather piece is pretty big - and I'm pretty small. I posted some pictures in another post showing my OFH with a "full size" leather piece - takes up 1/3 of my waistband.
      However, the more I wear the OFH, the more I'm getting used to it at the 3:30 position. I may try out something like the King Tuk, but I think I'm going to try something OWB first.

      Not sure how I feel about the Flashbang. Ingenious idea, but not sure about it in practice. Belly Band is on my list for when I run/workout!

      Thanks for the suggestions! I'll get it all figured out eventually. :)

      Delete