Saturday, June 23, 2012

Just a little rant

Having a discussion on a local message board, someone asked for recommendations on a good CHL class. Some dimwit chimed in with this:
IF you just want to carry in your vehicle, I wouldn't get a CHL. 
By getting a CHL you know let the police and other agency know information about you.
True. In Texas, you don't need a CHL to carry a gun in your vehicle. Texas sees your vehicle as an extension of your home, and has adapted the law to make it legal to carry in your car (several years ago, now).

My response:
Uhm....if you have nothing to hide, then it doesn't really matter. If you do have something to hide, then you are likely not eligible for a CHL anyway.

By carrying only in your car, you leave yourself defenseless if TSHTF while you're outside of your car, say leaving a store on your way to your car.
Dimwit:
It seems since you can now carry in your car, at work, etc, Really no need to get CHL for the most part. I had a CHL for year, I only kept a gun in my cars, I never carried one on me when just walking in and out of stores. Now that you can legally carry a firearm in your car, I really don't see much of need for a CHL anymore.
Me:
If you have no intention of carrying daily, everywhere that you can legally carry, then you're right, there's no need for you to have a CHL.

But a gun left in your car will do you no good if you stop at a gas station, go inside to get a snack, and find that as you approach the checkout some thug has decided to rob the store at gunpoint. 

To each his own, but I respectfully disagree with your stance.

Now,  I *just* carried in my car while I was waiting on my plastic to arrive. But there are very few things that you can do WHILE IN YOUR CAR. Meaning, going to and from all the places that you go on a daily basis, if you aren't carrying (legally, of course) then you are vulnerable, and you are placing your safety in the hands of others. Do you trust perfect strangers that much? I no longer do. 

I pray that I never need to use it, but you can damn well bet that sidearm will be with me wherever it's legally allowed.

Carry always, my friends.

4 comments:

  1. I added you to the Gun Blog Black List. Welcome!

    ( gunblogblacklist.blogspot.com )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! I'm not sure I deserve to be there with so many great bloggers, but I am honored!
      Thank you!

      Delete
    2. You are welcome. Yes you deserve to be there. Thank you for blogging!

      Delete
  2. I have friends that say the same thing. True, there are liabilities that come with the license, but I think the benefits outweigh them.

    I did have one young DPS trooper disarm me and record the serial off my revolver I was carrying on the citation he issued. I was a bit taken aback by this, but I let it slide.

    If you ever need your pistol outside of your car, you'll be grateful you took the trouble to get the permit.

    ReplyDelete